Islington-City Centre West
Islington centres on a commercial strip along Dundas Street West (originally The Governor’s Road, the first highway connecting Toronto to London, Ontario) which runs along an escarpment (the Lake Iroquois Shoreline, ancient shore of Lake Iroquois) across the width of Etobicoke. To the west where Kipling Avenue crosses Dundas Street West (and Bloor Street West) is the Six Points intersection, the central point in Etobicoke’s grid. To the east, Dundas Street crosses the Mimico Creek. The original community called Mimico grew west of Montgomery’s Inn, which was built in 1832 at Dundas Street West and Islington Avenue (beside the Mimico Creek) to serve travellers coming or going from Toronto to western Ontario along Dundas St. Unlike the better-known Montgomery’s Tavern in Toronto, Montgomery’s Inn was used by soldiers remaining loyal to the government during the 1837 rebellion. Etobicoke was officially incorporated as a township in 1850, first using Montgomery’s Inn for its meetings until the nearby original Methodist Church was purchased.